Thursday, September 9, 2010

Review: Coconut Bliss for the Lactose Intolerant

Are you lactose intolerant?  It seems like more and more people are discovering they are.  Bummer too, because so many love milk, cheese and ice cream.  Although, I would argue that dairy isn't a necessary part of our diet, but that's a story for another day.

While talking with a fellow Integrative Nutrition student, she mentioned Coconut Bliss.  I had never heard of it.  Coconut Bliss is an ice cream made from coconut milk instead of cow's milk.  I'm not a big ice cream eater, but I decided to hunt some down just to try it.  She seemed excited by it and I'm always up for something new.

I found the website: Coconut Bliss.  Wow, there are all kinds of yummy flavors!  Chocolate Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate, Cherry Amaretto and of course, Pineapple Coconut among others.

I checked out the "Store Locator" and found Coconut Bliss is about 3 miles down the road from me. 

I made a trip to the health food store for some other reasons, and while talking with an employee, I asked where I could find the Coconut Bliss.  He walked me over to the freezer section and seemed almost giddy to show me!  He said he loves it but he  doesn't sit down with a heaping dish of it like one would with ordinary ice cream.  He eats just a teaspoon or two at a time, just enough to kill the craving and be a special snack.

I grabbed a Mint Galactica and checked out with my other items and headed home.  I couldn't wait to taste it.  Mmmmmm!  Just exactly like ice cream.  You'd never know the difference!  I've had rice ice cream in the past and it was a frozen treat, but Coconut Bliss is bliss.

So, dear lactose intolerant friend, if you need an ice cream fix, Coconut Bliss is where it's at.  It's not cheap, it was $6.49 a pint, but at one or two teaspoons at a time, it will last awhile.

It's also great as a coffee creamer.  Don't ask me how I know that.

Last week my son had his wisdom teeth out.  I allowed him to get Bryer's ice cream to have something that would easily slide down his throat.  Since I have both in the freezer here's a comparison.  Both are 1/2 cup serving sizes.

Bryer's Chocolate:
milk, cream, sugar, corn syrup, whey, carob bean gum, guar gum
Calories: 140
Fat: 7g
Sodium: 55mg
Sugar: 15g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 4%
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 4%

Coconut Bliss Mint Galactica:
All organic ingredients: coconut milk, agave, dark chocolate, coconut oil, peppermint extract, vanilla extract
Calories: 240
Fat: 16g
Sodium: 10mg
Sugar: 15g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin C: 2%
Iron: 4%

What are your thoughts?  Will you try Coconut Bliss?