Monday, December 8, 2014

Pomegranates

Thanksgiving Salad

The first time I had a pomegranate was 3 years ago when one of my favorite Starbuck's baristas spent Thanksgiving with us and she brought an amazing fruit salad. She told us how she and her sister would sit on their front step as children with a towel on their lap to catch the juice as they ate pomegranates.

Two years ago I found this great video from Steamy Kitchen on how to open a pomegranate without the mess.


This Thanksgiving as I was thinking about our menu I realized how beige Thanksgiving is: potatoes, corn, turkey, rolls, stuffing, and decided to add some color with a salad.

I found the Zen Deep Green Blend from Earthbound Farm with Asian greens, tender baby spinach and bold baby kale. I cut some broccoli into small pieces, sliced a few Brussels sprouts and added pomegranate. It was delicious! The little spurts of juice from each aril were perfect with the leafy greens.

I used the method shown in the video and it was extremely easy!

Nutrition Facts:

  • Serving: 1/2 cup
  • Protein: 1.5 g
  • Fiber: 3.5 g/14%
  • Vitamin C: 8.9 mg/15%
  • Vitamin K: 14.3 mcg/18%
  • Folate: 33.1 mcg/8%
  • Copper: 0.1 mg/7%
  • Potassium: 205 mg/6%

Pomegranate Health Benefits:

  • Very high in antioxidants which help to fight cancer
  • Fights inflammation
  • Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol
  • Support for immune system
  • May help protect against depression and osteoporosis
  • Positive effect on the cardiovascular and nervous systems as well as skeletal health

I found these great recipes to try:

Pomegranate Salad with Quinoa from I Heart Naptime
Pomegranate Winter Salsa from Good Life Eats

And tons more; just check Pinterest!

Have you ever tried pomegranate? I'd love to hear about your experience and your favorite way to eat it!

Subscribe to my newsletter (see right) so you never miss a Be Real... post again! New post every Friday with other bonus posts planned for 2015!

You may also be interested in:
Pumpkin Pie Yogurt
Nutritional Yeast

Read my previous post: Resist Holiday Temptation
Read my next post: Lift Up Your Face and Live Life