Saturday, June 26, 2010

Kale Chips

Kale prior to baking (c) 2010, Kathy Fannon



Ever heard of 'em? I hadn't either until recently. Just before I enrolled at IIN I heard about how wonderful kale chips are, and when I started to get to know the other students, many of them raved about kale chips.

Kale is a green leafy cruciferous vegetable that is loaded with nutrition. Green leafies are good for magnesium, which most Americans are deficient in, but kale also is loaded with antioxidants, fiber (1 cup = 10% RDA) and vitamins A, K and C. It is also believed that kale helps to lessen the occurance of breast and ovarian cancers and also has a detox effect on the body.

This morning we went to the Holland Farmer's Market (my favorite) and I bought some kale. I wanted to make the fabulous kale chips I've heard so much about. WOW! They are delicious! They become thin and crispy, almost airy and have a wonderful flavor! And they would be a great substitute for potato chips.

So if you're brave enough (or smart enough?) try something new!

Here's how I did it:

Kale Chips:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1T apple cider vinegar (optional; or try balsamic)
  • sea salt
Wash and try dry kale, remove center stem, tear into bite-size pieces.

Use a large mixing bowl to coat with olive oil and vinegar. I used my hands so it was easier to mix. Make sure the leaves are coated well.

Spread in a SINGLE layer on one or two cookie sheets.

Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.

Kale Chips! (c) 2010, Kathy Fannon
Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes. Be careful not to let them burn. The edges should be a bit brown, but if they bake too long they'll be ruined.

And don't ask me how to store them, I haven't figured that out yet. But if I let them sit on the pans long enough, they'll be gone and it won't be an issue! :)

Update: They are fabulous crumbled into an omelet!

If you're interested in learning more about kale, this is a good article.