Monday, September 20, 2010

Onions

(c) 2010, Kathy Fannon

“Onions, onions, la la la. Mmmmm, I love onions.” Anybody remember that song by Susan Christie from 1966? (OK, I had to link to the video just for fun! Although, it does get obnoxious after a minute!)

I DO love onions! I use onions in just about everything I make. Well, not cookies or yogurt, but with soups, salads, omelets, and baked or sautéed on chicken or a sandwich.

Onions can be powerful when they’re raw, and sometimes not. They’re always a little sweeter after baking or sautéing, and some varieties are stronger than others.

I’m fortunate to live in an area with onion farms nearby. I love driving past them in the summer. When I was growing up my dad was a lover of chili dogs with onions, so onions remind me of him and his favorite food! So driving past those onion farms always smell like chili dogs to me!

Being a vegetable, I know onions have health benefits, so I thought I’d look up what those might be. Here is a brief sample of what I discovered about onions. La la la!

An important element inherent in onions is the flavonoid quercetin, which studies have shown to be extremely useful in helping to prevent cancer and reduce symptoms of cardiovascular disease. These are very effective antioxidants that aid in neutralizing the free radicals present in the human body.

Consuming large quantities of onions has been proven to effectively lower blood sugar levels in individuals suffering from diabetes. Onions contain chromium, which is a mineral that helps cells respond to insulin, ultimately assisting with blood glucose control.

A commonly known health benefit of onions is how they reduce the symptoms of asthma sufferers. This is due to the high vitamin C content, which acts as an antioxidant and powerful anti-inflammatory.

Onions are rich in vitamins A, B, C and K. They are also a potent source of folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, chromium, biotin, iron, potassium, and dietary fiber.

1 large, 1/4” thick slice has:
Calcium: 8 mg
Magnesium: 4 mg
Phosphorus: 10 mg
Potassium: 55 mg
Sodium: 1 mg
Vitamin C: 2.4 mg

Onions treat colds, coughs, asthma, angina, bacterial infections, breathing problems, and bronchitis.

They reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon and provide some protection against other tumor growth. Onions protect against stomach cancer, diminish the risk of blood clots, and can improve lung function, especially in asthmatics.

Onions help anemia, are an anti-coagulant and anti-inflammatory.

They are effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, as a diuretic and blood cleansing.

They help counter arthritis and gout, are an immune booster, help counter osteoporosis, and work as an anti-septic.

La la la…Do you love onions?