Friday, August 19, 2011

Dessert for Breakfast! Granola Peach!

Dessert for breakfast? Yeah, baby!

When I was in 7th grade I "made up" a recipe for dessert. I crushed graham crackers in the bottom of individual dishes and topped them with peaches and Cool Whip. I remember my grandma being impressed and bragging to Grandpa about it. That was good for a 13-year-old's ego!

As I was eating a similar dish for breakfast the other day it reminded me of that long ago "invented-by-me" dessert. But my updated version is so much healthier and you can eat it for breakfast, just like I did! And the best part? There are only 4 components, a total of 12 ingredients (compared to my "original" version that today would have 26 ingredients - mostly chemicals and flavorings)! And every one of them is easily identifiable and known where, in nature, they come from.

Oh wait, the even BETTER part is, 75% of the components are fresh and local, because it's important to me to support our local farmers and economy.

Here are the 4 components:

The "Good Life Granola" is made in Holland, MI and has: Oats, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Canola Oil, Almonds, Pecans, Vanilla, Sea Salt, Cinnamon

The Honey is raw, unfiltered and made in Gobles, MI. Raw honey is loaded with vitamins, minerals and amino acids, which include magnesium, zinc, calcium, potassium and others.

The Red Haven Peach is from my favorite fruit farmer, Duane, from Lakeside Orchards in Conklin, MI

The plain organic Greek yogurt is from my local grocery store. Its ingredient list is: cultured pasteurized organic nonfat milk and a list of "live active cultures" which are necessary for intestinal health (s. thermophilus, l. bulgaricus, l. acidophilus, bifidus and l. casei).

Note: The "live active cultures" is what makes yogurt good for us, so if your yogurt doesn't contain these, and is loaded with sugar and colorings, you lose the benefit of eating yogurt. (I find it interesting that the "children's" yogurt is positioned by the pudding rather than the "adult" yogurt.)

Mireille Guiliano, in her book "French Women Don't Get Fat", suggests 2 servings of yogurt per day. She shares a recipe to make it at home, and it's similar to the Greek yogurt. (Actually, she got the recipe from a Greek woman when travelling there.)

My Red Haven peach! So juicy!

For the sake of pictures I mixed the yogurt, honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon in a separate bowl, but you can plop it right on top of the peaches to mix it.

Maybe just a teeny bit too much yogurt!
All photos (c) 8/19/11, Kathy Fannon (Click to enlarge photos!)

Voila'! Dessert for breakfast!


Does this make you hungry? Tomorrow is farmers market day, so you have time to get the fresh, local ingredients! Can't make it to the farmers market? That's ok...pick them up next time you're at the grocery store.

This also works well with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple...whatever fresh fruit you like!

Please comment! What do you think of dessert for breakfast? Do you have your own version you'd like to share?


Do you enjoy this post? Please share it with your friends on Facebook! Thank you!