Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rustic Cabbage Soup from 101 Cookbooks

All photos (c) 10/5/11, Kathy Fannon
(Click to enlarge)


Are you ready for winter soups? I'm getting there, even though the high today is supposed to be 76.

I found this fabulous recipe for Rustic Cabbage Soup last year on Heidi Swanson's site, 101 Cookbooks and it became a family favorite. Even my teenage son liked it, so I knew I had a winner!

With this recipe in mind, last weekend at the farmers market I found purple cabbage for $1 a head. I also bought some purple potatoes. Why not go all purple for this soup? Dark color = antioxidants! (Although Heidi's original version is just as good!)

From start to finish (with picture taking besides - from my iPhone, so they're aren't professional quality) it took me about 40 minutes to make this soup. It's quick, easy, cheap and SO delicious.

Cabbage is one of the foods high in vitamin C to help fight colds and flu, so now is a good time to load up on it!

Be sure to visit Heidi's site for the recipe.

My pictures aren't as pretty as Heidi's, but you get to see the yummy purpleness of it.

Basic ingredients: Cabbage, Purple Potato, Onion and Garlic (all from the farmers market!)

Store bought items: Beans, Broth, Salt, Pepper (which I added, she doesn't list it in her recipe), Olive Oil

 Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

It's hard to tell from this picture, but the broth is a nice purple from the cabbage!

Do you have a favorite soup recipe you'd like to share? Leave a link if possible so we can all try it!

Read my previous post: Homemade Healthy Vegetable Dip
Read my next post: Grand Rapids Art Prize 2011