Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade Healthy Vegetable Dip



One of my fellow students asked on our group Facebook page if anybody had a healthy recipe for vegetable dip. I didn't, but I took up the challenge and came up with this. It’s not going to taste exactly like commercial dips, but I think it came out pretty good.

I used a small container of yogurt since I was just experimenting. Also, we don’t eat that much veggie dip, so I didn't want a lot on hand. If I were to make this for a party or something I’d get the 16 oz container and just triple the measurements.

Dill Vegetable Dip
5.3 oz Greek yogurt, plain
2t finely minced, fresh onion
¼ t salt
¼ t garlic powder
¾ t dill

The yogurt gives it a slightly different texture than a normal dip. I like yogurt because it has less fat and calories than sour cream. (There's also the benefit of adding good bacteria to your gut.) If you prefer sour cream I recommend Daisy since its ingredient list is small and there's nothing offensive in it.



(c) 2011, Kathy Fannon (Click photos to enlarge)

Do you have a homemade dip recipe you like to use?


Read my previous post: Review: 84 East in Downtown Holland
Read my next post: Rustic Cabbage Soup from 101 Cookbooks

Please consider sharing this recipe with your friends! Thank you!