Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Apple Cucumber Mango Salad

So now that I'm sitting down to write this post I realized I don't know what this dish is called, so I'm making up the name: Apple, Cucumber, Mango Salad. Sound good?

On Monday nights we go to Jazz at the Zoo at our local zoo. It's a free concert and we go with a group of people, some we know, some we get to know. The attendees always change, but there are the basic few who are always there.

Once a month we have a potluck while we listen to the concert and visit with each other.

Last night was Latin Jazz with Grupo Aye, so a few brought dishes with a Latin theme. One of those dishes was this fabulous salad from Kelli Hull.

Kelli saw this being made at a Latin Festival in town and decided she could easily whip this up herself. It was SO good! Very cool, crisp, refreshing and light...perfect for a hot summer night at the jazz concert. I never would have thought to put this combination together, but it works perfectly!

And with Kelli's permission I just HAD to share it with you. Thank you, Kelli!

(Click to enlarge)

  • Granny Smith Apple
  • Cucumber
  • Mango
  • Lime Juice
  • Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper (which Kelli didn't use since not everybody would like it)

And there it is! 

I will be attending a cookout this weekend...guess what I'll be bringing!

If you live in the Grand Rapids area, don't miss Jazz at the Zoo on Monday nights at John Ball Park, 6:30 - 8:30. It's lots of fun!
Photos (c) 6/18/12, Kathy Fannon

What is your favorite refreshing summer salad? And what is your favorite summer activity?

Read my previous post: Rosemary Lemon Quinoa
Read my next post: Blueberry Almond Coconut Oatmeal