Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rosemary Lemon Quinoa

Last year I made a fabulous Quinoa Tabouli by my friend, Wendy Battles-Plasse. It's been a big hit at some of the events I've brought it to.

Yesterday I decided to twist that up a bit and decided not to call it a tabouli, but just Rosemary Lemon Quinoa.

It was delicious and I will certainly make this one again!

The ingredients. Look at that amazing color already!

I used the rosemary from one stem and chopped it.

Zest from one lemon. (These microplanes are a great investment for zesting.)

I squeezed the lemon juice and combined it with olive oil, equaling between 1/4 and 1/3 cup. It's not an exact science, just "dump some in", as my mother-in-law used to say.

I used half of the red pepper. It seemed to be plenty, although I wouldn't argue against using the whole thing next time. Look at that lovely color! Beautiful!

I cooked one cup of dry quinoa and let it cool for a bit after cooking. Actually, if you've got time to let it get cold in the fridge, all the better.

I added just a tiny bit of salt and mixed it up. There ya go!

My husband grilled some organic chicken along with this first squash of the season! I drizzled it with olive oil, salt and garlic.

And here was my dinner from last night! Colorful, lots of veggies and lots of protein! It was filling and incredibly yummy!
All photos (c) 6/13/12, Kathy Fannon (Click them to enlarge)

If you haven't tried quinoa before, what are you waiting for?! It's gluten-free, high in protein and fiber and has a slight nutty taste. It's very versatile; it can be used hot as a side-dish, or mixed with veggies to make a salad, used in omelets, combined with fruit and milk to make a breakfast cereal...the options are endless.

Read about quinoa here: Curious About Quinoa

THANK YOU to the folks who have found their way here or have shared my recipe via Pinterest! I'm honored to have you visit! Please let me know if you try this, what you think, or how you'd change it. 

Do you have a favorite quinoa recipe? Please share a link if possible!

You might also enjoy:
Chicken with Quinoa Dinner
Veggies, Chicken and Quinoa
Quinoa with Vegetables
Whole-Wheat Honey Quinoa Muffins

Read my previous post: What Do You See
Read my next post: Apple, Cucumber, Mango Salad