Sunday, September 26, 2010

Whole Wheat-Honey Quinoa Muffins

(c) Enlightened Cooking, used without permission.  I hope Camilla isn't upset, but it is her photo.

I found this recipe on Power Hungry a week or so ago and thrilled at the idea of quinoa muffins!  Yesterday since it was cold and I had my oven on anyway (roasting tomatoes) I whipped 'em together.  If you like bran muffins, you'll love these!

Whole Wheat-Honey Quinoa Muffins

Things I would do (or did) different:

I never buy cow's milk, but almond milk worked great!  (Actually, I used 1/2C almond milk and 1/4C apple cider just for fun.  Yeah, it curdled a bit, but when everything else mixed together it was fine.)

I imagine soy milk would work too.

I will add 1t cinnamon next time and maybe some chopped pecans.

While it makes 12 nice size muffins, I think next time I will make 18 slightly smaller muffins, just to make 'em stretch further.

I'd also like to add pumpkin to the mix and see how it turns out.

These are fabulous muffins that you can feel good about eating.  Quinoa is such an amazing, healthy food and I love this way of getting it into my diet.

Read more about quinoa here.

What unique ways do you add whole grains to your diet?  Or what is your favorite muffin recipe?