Monday, February 28, 2011

Quinoa Tabouli

 (c) 2011, Kathy Fannon

Last month we set a date with some friends for a get-together for this past Saturday night. I confirmed with my friend toward the end of last week and he asked me to bring a healthy dish to pass. Of course I'd be happy to bring a healthy dish! Hmmm…but what could I bring?


My friend, Wendy Battles-Plasse, posted a video on her Facebook page on Thursday with the perfect recipe. (Thanks, Wendy!)

My Saturday was busy so I didn't get a chance to start the quinoa until an hour before we were supposed to arrive at the party. By the time we ate, the tabouli was room-temperature and it was fabulous! I had some cold leftovers the next day and it was just as good.

This would also be a great side dish with dinner or for a light lunch.

(c) 2011, Kathy Fannon (This is the quinoa I buy, and it's pre-washed!)

Quinoa Tabouli

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)


Cook, with a little salt, according to the directions on the package.

I didn't have a lot of time to let the quinoa cool before I added:

  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • Parsley, chopped
  • Orange pepper, chopped in small pieces
  • Drizzle of olive oil


Stir it up and there ya go!

Wendy's recipe called for a chopped tomato, but they look and smell so awful in West Michigan in February, I opted to use orange pepper instead, although any bell pepper would be good. I liked the sweetness it brought and I think I like that it wasn't as watery as a tomato might be. Although when tomatoes are in season this summer, I will definitely try it that way too.

Next time I make this I will also add a little chopped onion. I wonder if peas would be good too? Hey, that almost sounds like fried rice! 

Be sure to 'Like' Wendy's Facebook page and visit her website, Healthy Endeavors, for more recipes and her blog! Or follow her on Twitter!