Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: The Green Well

My friend had the day off work yesterday for Martin Luther King, Jr. day so we were able to spend some time together. We had coffee, did a little furniture shopping, then she took me to The Green Well for lunch.

It was fabulous!

The Green Well is on Cherry Street in Grand Rapids, between Eastern and Diamond. It's in a little building and if you're not watching, you'll miss it. (Parking is in the rear.)

The Green Well menu has lots of salads, sandwiches (I want to try the turkey with sweet potatoes), soups and entrees with quinoa! All items are available for take out.

My friend raved about the macaroni and cheese with chicken, ham and bacon, but I think I'd prefer the Twisted Mac and Cheese from Twisted Rooster with chicken, peas, asparagus and tomatoes. (I'm just not a ham and bacon fan.)

Prices range from $8 to $18. They use local products and support local farmers, which I love. From veggies to cream and cheese, the online menu will tell you which products are local.

They also serve beer and wine.

The Green Well is LEED certified, which makes it a green building, helping to protect our environment.

I had this Green Well Salad with avocado, cucumber, asparagus, peas, broccoli, arugula and cheddar cheese in an herb vinaigrette dressing for $7.99.

I liked that the salad wasn't swimming in dressing; there was just enough to make it wet and add flavor.

Green vegetables are so essential for our health and I felt very good about eating this salad. Even though there isn't a rainbow of color, the green salad was incredibly good. I can't wait to have it again!

She had the Vegetable Pot Stickers appetizer filled with vegetables and cabbage with a mustard-soy glaze, topped with stir-fried vegetables and crushed peanuts for $9.99.

I love the pretty colors on her dish and the vegetables weren't cooked to mush. So pretty and so healthy!

As we looked around at other people's plates we noticed all the beautiful colors on them. As an advocate against beige food, The Green Well was a gorgeous, colorful place to eat! I will definitely be going back!

If you're in the Grand Rapids or West Michigan area, what hole-in-the-wall places to you love?


See my post Green Salad from last July!

Read my previous post: Sweet Potato Kale Pizza
Read my next post: Veggies, Chicken and Quinoa