Friday, August 7, 2015

Take Time: Read A Good Book

Photo: Dorothea Jorgensen Ellsworth and Me, 2008

(The Take Time series appears the first Friday of the month.)

A few years ago in the spring I left a job that was very stressful for me. I was so grateful that I was able to take the summer off to heal mentally and emotionally, recognizing not everyone has that luxury.

Part of my healing that summer was reading. I usually read biographies or leadership-type books, but that summer I read what I guess would classify as historical non-fiction.

It was a series of 5 books that I refer to as the The Dream Series, by Dorothea Ellsworth. It is a true story written by a woman about her aunt  and uncle from a small town north of Greenville, MI, called Entrican, set in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Remnants of the town still exist, but it's little more than a row of houses along about a 1-mile stretch.

Can you believe there's only about one month of summer left? I want to encourage you to take time to relax and read a good book. Sit out in the sun, enjoy the breeze and get lost in a good story, or leadership points if that's your thing. 

Here is a short list of some of my favorite books if you're looking for something good to read.

Love Does, Bob Goff
Moment Maker, Carlos Whittaker
Jesus Is _____., Judah Smith
Altar Ego, Craig Groeschel (or anything by him)
Catalyst Leader, Brad Lomenick
Ordering Your Private World, Gordon MacDonald
The Art of Work, Jeff Goins
Big Russ & Me, Tim Russert
Ultrametabolism, Dr. Mark Hyman
Organized Simplicity, Tsh Oxenreider
Do Your Thing, Melissa Camara Wilkinson (free when you sign-up for her newsletter)
The Dream Giver, Bruch Wilkinson

I so love this series! This would also be great for young teen girls who love to read.
"The Dream Series", Dorothea Jorgensen Ellsworth (locally published book; call to check for availability and to order.) [Series includes: No Time to Dream, Give Me My Dream, Dreams Do Come True, This Dream Is Real, The Long Awaited Dream]

My list of favorite books could on for miles, but I want to hear from you. What are some of your favorites books, in any genre? Share below or via Twitter or Facebook.

Happy reading!