Friday, May 29, 2015

24 Healthy Potluck-Dish Ideas

Summer is here! That means backyard BBQs, church potlucks, family gatherings and any excuse to get together and eat!

But if you've made changes to your lifestyle you may not want to eat some of the food people bring - chips, pasta salads and casseroles abound!  

I'm generally not a fan of other people's cooking, it's usually too bland, I don't like the particular recipe or I just can't tell what exactly is in that casserole. And being an encourager of eating whole foods I have a hard time at potlucks because most of what is found there is processed or overcooked.

I've learned to bring something I like so I know there will be at least one thing I can eat, and then I load up on whatever fresh fruit or veggies I can find to go along with it.

Knowing what to bring to a potluck can be hard, so I've compiled these recipes to give you some ideas for the gatherings you attend this summer and beyond. Most of these don't need to be kept warm or refrigerated, but be sure to use insulated carriers where necessary.

Main Dish:
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Bites (These were a big hit when I brought them to an event. They taste a little like quiche.)
Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers (Make these into 1/2 - 1 ounce meatballs instead of patties.)

Side Dish:

Pasta: (I do like it as long as it has some flavor!)

Vegetables:

Fruit:

If all else fails, offer to bring the veggie tray with hummus or my homemade veggie dip or fresh-cut fruit.

Was this list helpful? Please leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section. The more potluck ideas the better!

Read my previous post: 21 Sources of Non-Dairy Calcium