Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Great Pumpkin

(c) 2011, Kathy Fannon

Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere!  What to do with all of them?  There is so much more to do with a pumpkin than bake pie!  Here are a few ideas.

I've been getting the pie pumpkins from the farmer's market and roasting them (and the seeds). I cut them into quarters, brush on a little olive oil then put them in a 325 or 350 oven for 2 to 3 hours. (Make sure they're soft before removing.)  When they're cool enough to handle I use a paring knife to take the peel off. So easy!

Then I mash 'em and put 'em in sandwich bags (1 cup per bag) and freeze them to use in soups or muffins.

Last week I put about 1 1/4 cups of mashed pumpkin into my Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal.  Fabulous!

I've also used it like sweet potatoes with chicken...add a little olive oil, maple syrup, chopped pecans and sea salt.

I've mentioned this before, but one of my very most favorite soups is Black Bean with Pumpkin, Lime and Chipotles from Enlightened Cooking.  I also printed off this recipe for Easy Smoked Paprika Pumpkin Soup, a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't tried it yet but it sounds easy and delicious. 

Brittnay, from Eating Bird Food loves pumpkin and has some great recipe ideas on her site. 

How about this gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free no bake Pumpkin Pie from The Spunky Coconut?

The (never home)maker posted these Pumpkin Dinner Rolls.

If you're an egg eater you might like this. The other night I made omelets for dinner.  When I was whipping up my eggs I decided to throw in a little mashed pumpkin. Oh my! Amazing!

When I whipped 'em I used one teaspoon of water per egg and I used about one teaspoon of mashed pumpkin per egg. What a fabulous flavor!

Here are some more ideas for pumpkin use.

And more ideas for using pumpkin.

Do you use pumpkin in a unique way?  I'd love to hear it.  Or share your favorie pumpkin recipe!