Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best of 2011: #9 Pumpkin Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal

As 2011 comes to a close, I continue my review of the top 10 posts of the year.

Please be sure to participate in the poll on the right sidebar.

The number nine most viewed post of 2011 was Pumpkin Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal from November 6, 2010.

********************
Are you wondering what to do with leftover pumpkins?  How about roasting them and adding them to your oatmeal?

I've been doing that the past few weeks and it's fabulous.  I LOVE my Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal but have made a few minor changes for the pumpkin version.  I thought I'd share it with you for some variety.

Roasting Pumpkins

This has been a learning process for me in getting the right texture.  I clean the seeds out of a pie pumpkin and cut it in quarters, brush a little olive oil on it and roast it at 300 for 2 to 3 hours.  When it's cool enough to handle I use a paring knife to cut the peel off, but usually the pumpkin needs to soften some more.  So I kick the oven up to 375, put the pumpkin chunks into a baking dish and put 'em in the oven for another hour or so, covered, so they don't burn.  When they're soft enough to mash with a fork I take 'em out then use a mixer to mash 'em real good. 

If I'm not going to use them all at once, I freeze them in a sandwich bag in 1 C amounts to use later in soups, muffins or oatmeal!

(See more details and pictures here.)

Pumpkin Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal

1/2 C steel cut oats (cheap in bulk at the health food store) (Best to soak in water for AT LEAST an hour before cooking)
1/2 C buckwheat groats ($1.35/pound at the health food store)
2 cans coconut milk (cheaper at an Asian food store-about $.80, World Market is a little more expensive-$1.50, the grocery store is outrageous-$2.89!)
1 C applesauce, unsweetened
2 C mashed pumpkin
1 t vanilla extract
1 C shredded coconut
1t cinnamon
1t ginger
1t cloves
1t nutmeg
1t sea salt
1/2 C pecans, chopped
6 ounces molasses


Add all ingredients to crockpot at night before bed.  I add a little water to the coconut milk cans to rinse them out and add it to the oatmeal.

Set crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.  (My crockpot gets hot so I try to do this Sunday afternoon for about 5 hours.)

My husband likes to add banana to this version, or whatever frozen fruit we may have.  I like it with 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. We reheat in the microwave for one minute, stir and heat for another 20 or 30 seconds. Then I add the blueberries and microwave for another 40-ish seconds!

If you don't have time or energy to play around roasting your own pumpkin, canned pumpkin works great as well.  Just be sure to get 100% pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie mix.

This is a quick, easy, healthy alternative to boxed processed cereals and is warming to the body on cold winter mornings!

Want it gluten-free? Be sure to buy gluten-free steel cut oats. (Buckwheat groats are gluten-free.)

What do ya think?  Are you going to try this?

**This recipe is Andrea Beaman approved!**

Read my previous post: Best of 2011: #10 Pumpkin Pie Yogurt
Read my next post: Best of 2011: #8 Grocery List