Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Best of 2011: #10 Pumpkin Pie Yogurt

My laptop has died; I cannot turn it on. When I hit the "on" button it just laughs at me. I'm going to find a Geek and see if, at the very least, my files can be saved. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if my laptop itself cannot be saved as I don't have the funds for a new one. For now I'll use my iPad, but it is very difficult for me to blog from it.

Since it's the end of the year (and I have no laptop) I've decided to review the top 10 posts for this past year. I'm also contemplating where I want to take this blog in 2012, or if I want to just close it. (Your input is very welcome on that topic!)

Please be sure to participate in the poll on the right sidebar.

The number ten most viewed post this year was Pumpkin Pie Yogurt from October 13, 2011

**********
Is it breakfast? Is it dessert? YES!

About 15 years ago, long before I changed  my eating choices, I looked forward to fall and pumpkin fluff at the deli of my grocery store. I loved that stuff and could never figure out how to make it. At some point they stopped making it and I was disappointed.

About 4 years ago I came across a Rachel Ray recipe that was exactly what pumpkin fluff used to be! I don't recall it now, but seems like the recipe was a can of pumpkin with a box of dry vanilla pudding, or something like that.

In my new food-snob phase I would never eat that! The pudding ingredient list reads more like a chemical experiment to me. (I recognize not everybody shares this view with me. Be not condemned...it's just what works for me.)

I love Brittany Mullins and her blog, Eating Bird Food. Brittany also loves pumpkin, just like me! So I played off of her pumpkin yogurt idea and came up with this...Pumpkin Pie Yogurt!

But wait! This tastes BETTER than pumpkin fluff! What a way to live! \O/

About 2 ounces of plain Greek yogurt. (I prefer Oikos brand.)
I think these fancy wine glass pictures would've worked better if I was making a larger amount. Oops!
I also need to stop trying to use my phone camera...not working so well.
All photography (c) 10/12/11, Kathy Fannon
(Click to enlarge)

Add a squeeze of raw honey, cinnamon and a little cloves. You could add ginger and nutmeg if you wanted to go crazy!

A couple of generous plops of homemade roasted, mashed pumpkin. (Or canned is fine too.)

Top with a little granola. Make sure the ingredient list is 'pure'. My favorite is Good Life Granola, a local company (who will ship anywhere) that doesn't add any chemicals, colorings or preservatives.

When mixed together it's very similar in taste and texture to pumpkin pie - with the (whipped) cream mixed right in! And so much healthier!

And look at those yummy pumpkin bits!

I do eat this for breakfast, but I think I'll keep it in mind as an alternative for me when Thanksgiving dessert time rolls around.

I prefer less refined sugar, using raw honey instead. Less sweetened condensed milk, using Greek yogurt instead with much higher health benefits, since yogurt aids in digestion. (Probably good after turkey and potatoes, huh?) I would also prefer this granola in place of the pie crust made, undoubtedly, with partially hydrogenated oils - at least in my family.

Nutrition Information

I was only able to find nutrition information for boiled pumpkin. I'm confident that by baking it much more of the nutrients are retained, but even still, these numbers are impressive.

One cup of cooked pumpkin contains (I use about 1/4 cup of mashed pumpkin.):
  • Calories 49
  • Protein 2g (about 4%)
  • Fiber 3g (about 11%)
  • Calcium 37mg (4%)
  • Iron 3.5mg (about 8%)
  • Magnesium 22mg (about 6%)
  • Potassium 564mg (about 16%)
  • Vitamin C 12mg (about 20%)
  • Vitamin A 2650IU (about 245%)
  • Vitamin E 3mg (about 10%)
  • Riboflavin 0.2mg (about 11%)
  • Copper and Manganese 0.2 each (about 11%)

Pumpkin, with its bright, deep color means that it's loaded with anti-oxidants, specifically beta-carotene. We know that anti-oxidants help fight cancer, heart disease, strengthens the immune system and slows the aging process. (Yay!)

Pumpkin is excellent to aid in weight loss, is low glycemic, and will not cause an inflammatory response in the body.

Good Life Granola with Almonds and Pecans

These facts are for a 1/2 cup serving size. (I use about 1/4 cup)
  • Calories 250
  • Protein 6g (12%)
  • Fat 11g (17%)
  • Fiber 4g (15%)
  • Calcium 37mg (4%)
  • Iron 3.5mg (8%)
  • Sugar 12g (3teaspoons per serving - high, but I don't use a full serving)


Greek Yogurt

These facts are for a 5.3 ounce container according to its label. (I use about 2 ounces)
  • Calories 80
  • Protein 15g (30%)
  • Calcium 20%
  • Sugar 6g (1.5 teaspoons, but it's a natural occurring sugar, there is none added)
  • Potassium 230mg (7%)


Here's my best guess at my overall nutrition level for Pumpkin Pie Yogurt:
  • Calories 167
  • Protein 10g (18%)
  • Fat 5.5g (8.5%)
  • Fiber 3g (10%)
  • Calcium 11%
  • Iron 2.63mg (6%)
  • Sugar 8g (2 teaspoons)
  • Potassium 228mg (7%)
  • Magnesium 5.5mg (1.5%)
  • Vitamin C 5%
  • Vitamin A 61%
  • Vitamin E 2.5%
  • Riboflavin 3%
  • Copper and Manganese, each 3%

I've not added any of the raw honey nutrition information to this, but it will add a little more sugar along with vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Read more about raw honey here.

Not a bad start to the day, and certainly a decent snack...or dessert!

Read my previous post: Potatoes with Spinach
Read my next post: Best of 2011: #9 Pumpkin Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal