Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Honey-Lemon Water

(c) 2/1/2011, Kathy Fannon

Are you looking for something to soothe a sore throat? I have a plan!

One of my November lectures was from Dr. John Douillard of LifeSpa, who encouraged us to sip hot water every ten minutes to help drain the lymph system (along with lots of other fabulous information). I discovered I really like drinking hot water this time of year, rather than trying to suck down cold water to get my quota for the day.

A few weeks ago when I had a sore throat I thought about what I have learned over the course of the past year in regards to natural health remedies. I remembered that honey is supposed to help a sore throat so I added a big squeeze of raw honey to my hot water. It hit the spot - wonderful!

Two days later I reported my genius idea to my doctor. He smiled with pride and told me to add some lemon next time, which I had thought about but I didn’t have any.

When I left his office I stopped at the store and picked up a lemon and added it to my honey water, just because it tastes good.

And there it is; my new favorite drink.

Why honey? Raw honey is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, which include magnesium, zinc, calcium, potassium and others. And the sweetness helps soothe the throat with its wound-healing properties.

As with any food, processed honey will lose many of its health benefits, so look for raw whenever possible. Honestly, I don’t know how hard it is to find, although most likely at a health food store. I stocked up for the winter at my local farmer’s market last summer, so I’ve never looked for it commercially.

Why lemon? As a citrus fruit, lemon has lots of vitamin C. And like honey, lemon contains calcium and potassium, along with vitamin A.

Why water? To stay hydrated! We should drink half of our body weight in ounces every day, even more if you’re a soda or caffeine drinker.

How do I do it? I use my favorite mug, the one with butterflies seen here. (Yes, a shameless plug to get you to read more of my blog!)

When I bring my lemon home, I cut it into wedges; maybe 8 to 12 pieces. They store really well in a sandwich bag in the refrigerator to have available when I need one.

I filter tap water and heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes, squeeze the juice from one wedge into the water and add a big squirt of raw honey. Mmmmmm! I think I’ll go make some now!

What is your favorite home remedy for sore throats? What do you think of honey-lemon water? Will you try it?