Thursday, February 2, 2012

Black Bean and Corn Salad

Admittedly, this recipe is far from unique, but it's what I had for supper when my men wanted meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy the other night.

I will plan ahead and add more to this next time I make it, but I used what I had in the house. Even with what little there was ingredient-wise it was still delicious. And much healthier than the male-alternative for the evening.

I had a basic idea of what I wanted to make. I went to Pinterest to see if I could find ratios on which to base this salad - rescued with a recipe from Rachel Ray.

(c) 2/1/12, Kathy Fannon

One can of black beans (no salt added); rinsed and drained
About 6 or 7 ounces of corn I had in the freezer from last fall, thawed and drained
Avocado, cut in chunks
Fresh cilantro leaves
Juice from one lime
Olive Oil
Cumin
Salt
Garlic

It was very tasty, although next time I would add bell pepper for sure, along with grape tomatoes in season from the farmers market. Definitely onion as well, but the only onion I had on hand is frozen and would be too mushy for a salad. (It's much better cooked in soup or omelets.)

Brown rice would be good, and this could even be wrapped in a tortilla shell with a little sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.

What else would you add to this salad?

You might also enjoy Rice and Beans.

Read my previous post: Veggies, Chicken and Quinoa
Read my next post: Homemade Noodles and Company