Saturday, February 19, 2011

Veggie Overload Omelet

I realized I have never blogged about my favorite thing to make and eat! So here is my version of an omelet, which is really more like stir-fried veggies with a little egg thrown in at the end!

This is great to make in the summer with all of the fresh veggies from the farmer's market: bell peppers, squash, zucchini, onions, and more. (I even get my eggs from the farmer's market.)

It's also versatile in the winter with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and other root vegetables, along with the onion and bell pepper that I froze in the summer just for this!

The picture on the right sidebar was taken when preparing this particular omelet, so the above combination may look familiar. All of these veggies were purchased from my local farmer's market.


I add the potatoes and carrots first because they take the longest to cook.


Sprinkle with whatever seasoning you like. Pink Sea Salt, pepper and garlic powder are always a must for me, but then I change it up every time I make an omelet: Oregano/Basil, Greek Mediterranean, Fajita, Curry, Cal Mex Blend, Dill, etc. (There are some great combinations at World Market if you have one nearby, and their prices are excellent. Some of the spices are even organic!)


Add the eggs. No, this wasn't just for show. Yes, that really is my veggie to egg ratio!


When the eggs are almost set I add some feta or mozzarella cheese.


There ya go! My Veggie Overload Omelet!


Veggie Overload Omelet

2 - 3 eggs per person (How hungry are you? I usually use 2 for me; 3 for my husband.)
1 - 2 T olive oil (not necessary to measure, just eyeball it)

All to taste – all at the same time or pick the few you like:


  • Onion, chopped
  • Potatoes, sliced thin (I like purple potatoes from the farmer’s market, in season; or red or Yukon Gold)
  • Bell Pepper, chopped
  • Mushroom, sliced (I like baby bella)
  • Carrots, sliced (baby carrots cut in half)
  • Parsnips, peeled and sliced (like carrots)
  • Broccoli, chopped
  • Cauliflower, chopped (I like purple or Italian cauliflower from the farmer’s market, in season)
  • Zucchini or Summer squash, sliced thick and cut in half
  • Radish, sliced
  • Asparagus, cut in bite-size pieces Be careful not to overcook!
  • Tomato, chopped
  • Spinach
  • Feta Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Seasoning of your Choice


Crack eggs into a dish, add one teaspoon COLD water per egg, salt and pepper and spices; beat, set aside.

Prepare vegetables so everything is ready to go.

Heat omelet pan then add olive oil.  (I use 10” pan.)

Add veggies, longer cooking ones first (like potatoes/carrots); and salt, pepper and spices. Fry veggies about 4 minutes on medium-high, without stirring.

Flip veggies over and stir a little to distribute the seasoning; fry another 3 minutes without stirring. (Longer if you like them softer.)

Add spinach and toss gently for a few seconds until wilted down.

Add eggs (and nutritional yeast at this point) and cook while gently tossing for even distribution, then turn down the flame a little and let the eggs cook. Top with Feta cheese and allow to sit and soften while the eggs cook and firm, about 5 minutes-ish.

Fold in half and turn onto plate.

In the past I've added a little chopped, leftover chicken to my husband's omelet. You could also add fish if that sounded good to you, or even crumbled tofu.


Are you vegan or vegetarian? You can make this the same way, just eliminate the eggs and cheese and add tofu!

All photos are (c) 2009, by Kathy Fannon


You may also enjoy Zucchini-Bean Omelet


Read my previous post: Dressing Review: Good Seasons Italian
Read my next post: Health Benefits of Brown Rice