Monday, December 1, 2014

10,000 Step Challenge



While playing around in the App Store a couple of months ago, I found this free app that connects with the Health app on my iPhone.

Withings says the World Health Organization recommends we take 10,000 steps every day. Wow, really? That is a challenge.

And I like a challenge!

I set out to get 10,000 steps per day. Not easy! But a one-mile walk will give me about 2000 steps, and the route I walk gives me about 3000. That's a pretty decent chunk for the day.

I've made it to the goal of 10,000 steps six times. I've made it past the 5000 step mark twenty-six times. In my best week I walked 54,113 steps, 22.48 miles!

Twice I've made it past the 12,000 step mark. (Then the app challenged me to get to 15,000!)

Walk A 5K

One day while thinking about what I want my health-story to be, I decided I want to walk a 5K at least once per month, even if it's just in my own neighborhood. That particular day it was about 54* and I knew it was the last nice day for quite awhile, so I decided I would do that 5K "today".

I looked at the map on my phone and found out how far half of 3.1 miles would be down the main road, put on my walking shoes, put my earbuds in and headed out. That accomplishment felt great!

This post isn't meant to discuss the Withings app, but I recommend you check it out. It will also record your weight, check your pulse and blood pressure, and connects with other products to keep track of your health. Check out their website here.

You can also set reminders to drink water, eat fruit, weigh yourself, go for a walk, and so much more.

Getting to 10,000

During the winter months, my goal is to walk 5000 - 7500 steps per day. In the summer my goal is 10,000 - 12,000 per day.

And it doesn't have to be walking outside, or through the mall - although that is fun!

You can walk in place while cooking or washing your hands.

You can dance! One time I "danced" with my iPod while flattening my hair and the app said I ran .5 miles!

So I challenge you! How many steps per day can you do? Download the app, keep track of your steps for the week and report back how you do.


You may also be interested in: