Monday, March 4, 2013

UPDATED: Basement Potato Soup

I'm bringing this post from March 5, 2011, to the top of my blog again. I've made this many times since first creating this recipe and I've found new ways to make it better. So here is the updated, improved version of Basement Potato Soup with as much of the original content as possible.

I hope you love it!

(c) 2013, Kathy Fannon

OK, the picture of my Basement Potato Soup doesn't look like anything special, but it sure is good!

My parents came over today to help us work on finishing a room in the basement (they're the BEST) and I wanted to feed them while they were here. My mom is a bit of a picky eater so anything I would normally make I knew she wouldn't be fond of. But how can ya go wrong with potato soup?

So I did a little digging on my favorite websites and found a few potato recipes that sounded good to get a base for my soup, and then I added in the rest from there. Because we worked in the basement, I call this "Basement Potato Soup".

I did make this as a double batch to feed the 5 of us and to have some leftover, but you could easily halve this recipe.

Oh, and Mom loved this soup! Score!

Basement Potato Soup

  • 2T olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 5 – 6 garlic cloves (we love garlic, use less if you wish)
  • 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed, unpeeled and cut into small chunks
  • 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 6-ounce unsweetened almond milk (or 6-ounce fat free evaporated milk)
  • 2 1/2 - 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Salt to taste
  • ¼ t pepper
  • 2 t thyme
  • 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast (found at the health food store near the protein powders; nutritional yeast is not the same as yeast used for baking; nutritional yeast gives a cheese flavor) Optional

Add the oil and onion to a large pot, cook over medium heat until softened, about 6-8 minutes.

Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic burn or you'll have to start over!

Add the potato, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme; bring to a boil.

Partially cover and cook about 15 minutes over low to medium heat.

Add the evaporated milk and nutmeg and simmer for 10 minutes longer.

Remove about one cup of potatoes and set aside.

[Following is my original instruction, which still may apply to some.] Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, and return it to the pan. Or if you're lazy like me,
use a hand mixer right in the pan to make a smooth soup, but then be careful not to let hot soup splash on your skin or clothing.

[Update] My daughter bought a stick blender for me for Christmas and it works PERFECT! I can blend it right in the pan. Voila!

Add the potatoes back into the pan.
  • I had a 10 oz bag of corn in the freezer from the farmer’s market so I added that at this point. That was the last of my farmer's market corn so next time I make this I'll do without it. I am a snob that way, so if you want corn, please get frozen corn at the grocery store. I promise I won't judge you for it!  :)

Add the corn, nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped rosemary (please don't skimp on that one!) and mozzarella. Cook another 5 or 10 minutes until the corn is heated through and the cheese melts.

Garnish with chives and cooked bacon if you desire. As you can tell by the picture, I didn't.

Serve with crusty bread. I found a fabulous 7-grain sourdough that was perfect!

Makes 10 - 12 servings.

Freezes and reheats very well!

Cauliflower would be a great addition as well and a great way to sneak in extra nutrients for your kids...or mother!


If you like ham, diced ham would be good in this too.


You could also change up the spices and use cumin and chili powder for a Mexican flair.


To make this vegetarian use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.

Want it vegan? Substitute almond milk for the evaporated milk.

Read my previous post: Review: Reds On The River