Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Breakfast Experiment - Day 4 (Vegetables)

I usually go to the farmer's market on Wednesdays but was not able to this week.  Thus, I had a panic moment last night when I realized I didn't get fresh vegetables for today's breakfast experiment, but I scrounged fresh vegetables from what I already had to make a decent salad for breakfast. 

The organic mixed baby greens were from the grocery store, but the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and tomatoes were from the farmer's market.  I used olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing.

(c) 2010, Kathy Fannon

It took 7 minutes to put this together and about 25 to eat.  I took my time, chewed well and tried to remember to put my fork down between bites.  And it was fun to 'chair dance' to my 70s iTunes playlist while I ate!

Right after eating, about 8:30, I felt great.  It was energizing to know I started my day with such healthy food and I felt full.  I even craved water, which gave me a good start on that for the day.

At 9:45, one hour later, I felt hungry.  What?  That was a big salad!  But I had an appointment and couldn't stop for a snack.

At the 2-hour mark, I was, of course, still hungry, but I still had energy.  I didn't feel tired or sluggish and my mind was clear and alert.

So while a big salad didn't sustain me for a long time, the healthy energy from it did.

Has anybody else out there ever had salad for breakfast?  Are you willing to try it?  I certainly would do it again.