Friday, February 4, 2011

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts

(c) 2010, Kathy Fannon (Not sure why Blogger wants to turn my picture, but you get the idea.)

I’m aware this is the wrong time of year to talk about Brussels sprouts because they aren’t in season. But I discovered last summer that I like them so when I saw a bag of these yummy leafy greens at Costco, I had to get them.

Maybe you haven’t tried Brussels sprouts or aren’t quite sure what to do with them. I love them sautéed so I thought I’d share a quick and easy way to make them.

The amount you use will depend entirely how much you want to eat and how many people you’re cooking for. Since I cook this kind of thing for one person at a time, I’ll share what I do just for me.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts

  • 8 to 10 sprouts, stem ends cut off, cut in half (quarters if they’re large)
  • Sliced onion
  • One good size carrot, washed (I don’t peel, but you can)
  • Salt, Pepper, Garlic, desired spice (I use oregano and basil most of the time, sometimes I use others I have in my cupboard. Ideas for spices can be found here.)

Eyeball about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10" frying pan.

Add carrots, onions and sprouts, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and spice choice.

Cook over medium high for 3 to 3 ½ minutes. Stir well to distribute spices and cook for another 3 minutes.

(You can add any other veggie you like with this. Maybe a small potato, cabbage strips, some bell pepper, parsnips, or turnips would all be great.)

That’s it!

At this point, you can turn it into an omelet if you want. I add 2 eggs that have been beaten with a little water added. Push the veggies to one side of the pan and add the egg, then ‘cover’ the egg with the veggies. Stir them a bit to blend it together then let the eggs cook until set. A little mozzarella cheese is really good on this too!

Cubed tofu is also good with this recipe! I had it for breakfast once. Yum!

Please share your favorite way to eat Brussels sprouts!