Monday, September 12, 2011

God's Favor = Free Apples


I’m excited about posting this week because I have so many ideas, I just don’t know where to start! So eenie-meenie-miney-mo….I’ll start with God’s favor and my free apples.

My husband laughs at me because everywhere I go I know people. I’m on a first-name basis with my grocery store director, my Starbucks baristas, the ladies at the bank, World Market, the farmers market and so much more!

But the last laugh can be on him, because it truly pays to frequent a place of business.

My grocery store director, Mike, has given me things for free for various reasons (about to expire, an inconvenience, etc). My Starbucks baristas (also known as “Kings” and “Queens” to me) have given me things for free (refills, pastries, upgrades).

Saturday, it was Duane, my favorite fruit farmer. I buy fruit from him twice a week all season. He has the best blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, and corn. OK, corn isn’t a fruit, but his is still the best.

When I approached his table I saw “Last Day: Red Haven Peaches”. I LOVE these peaches! I have a bunch frozen, ready for winter use and have been eating fresh ones for breakfast like they’re going out of style. Well, I guess they kind of are.

  • I whined to Duane, “The last day?”

  • “I’ll have Crest Havens next week, those are really good.”

  • “But Red Havens are my favorite!”

  • “Have you ever had Crest Haven?”

  • “No, because I love the Red Havens!” 

He laughed and assured me the Crest Havens are good. Guess I’ll find out next week. Until then, I bought 2 boxes of Red Havens and am enjoying those while I can…for breakfast AND snacks this week!

After I paid I saw he had Honey Crisp apples. My husband loves these and has been craving fall apples, so I asked Duane for a box of those. He handed them to me and “Those are for free.”
  • “Free? Why?”

  • “Because you’re always here.”

Awwwwwww……!

I thanked him and told him I’d see him Wednesday.

Look at these yummy babies! And they’re SO good!

Honey Crisp Apples (c) 9/10/11, Kathy Fannon

Pastor Sam is currently doing a series called “Favor”, based in the book of Ruth. One of his quotes from yesterday’s message is: Someone is always observing you who is capable of blessing you. [Ruth2:5-9]

He talked about God’s provision, whether it’s a close parking space at the store or a promotion into a job you’re not qualified for. But God WANTS to bless us.

I thought about Duane and his blessing of apples the day before. Ultimately it was God’s blessing, reminding me of how much He loves me and takes care of me.

What has God provided and blessed you with lately? Please share your story below!


Read my previous post: My Happy Place 
Read my next post: Review: Good Life Granola