Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Caved, But I'm Favored


(c) 9/15/11, Kathy Fannon

I stopped at my favorite Starbucks store this morning and while waiting in line I noticed they had Pumpkin Scones. I have a weakness for those and try really hard to pass them up. But the temperature was in the low 50s this morning and it feels like fall, so I couldn’t resist.

But wait, what’s that behind the scones? A Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin? I love pumpkin muffins in the fall and make my own every year while the pumpkins are around. I used to make it with cream cheese, but eliminated that a couple of years ago.

Two things wrong this morning: I was waiting in line and I was hungry.

I bought the scone and the muffin. I caved.

I was going to pass on the muffin until I was told there was only a limited amount. One case. Total of 24 muffins. And one was there for my taking. Well, purchasing. I’m favored.

I’m savoring the muffin because I know it’s the only one I’ll get. But quite frankly, I like mine better.

Bring on the pumpkins at the farmers market!

Here’s my review in case you happen to have one of these muffins available to you.

Pros:
  • It’s very moist!

  • There are praline pumpkin seeds on top. Delicious!

  • It has a really great pumpkin flavor.

Cons:
  • The cream cheese “filling” mostly sits on top. It’s not all the way through like you might imagine – like a Hostess cupcake or something. And it didn't really taste all that great, but then I don’t eat cream cheese much anymore anyway.

  • Sugar content is through the roof at 47 grams. Generally, it is accepted we eat no more than 40 grams per day. Well, I blew that one today.

  • Calories are as high as a small meal at 420. I don’t usually concern myself with calorie counts, but when this little muffin has more than what I eat for lunch, it’s pretty high. Although, this will obviously be a rare treat, so I’m not freaking out about it.

  • Do you pay attention to carbs? (I don’t.) Seventy-one grams – 24% RDA!

  • I’m also a bit disappointed that sugar is the very first ingredient.

  • “Caramel color”, “natural flavor” and preservatives are included in the ingredient list. These are things I like to avoid. But who’s paying attention while in a Starbucks line?

There are other things on the ingredient list that don’t go into my homemade pumpkin muffins, so even if there was an unlimited fall supply of these muffins, I don’t think I would be tempted to get another one. I’d much rather make my own. (I'm an admitted food-snob that way.)

Overall the muffin was enjoyable and went well with my hot chai.

The pumpkin scones are really just as offensive nutrition-wise as this muffin. I usually cut them in half and freeze them until I have a desperate urge.

If you see one, and you like pumpkin muffins, try one and let me know what you think!

Read my previous post: Review: Good Life Granola
Read my next post: Your Opinion Matters To Me!