Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chinese Omelet

OK, it's not really a Chinese omelet, but I did try something new tonight.

While looking at recipes online the other day I saw one that called for Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce mixed with Brussels sprouts, onions and a few other ingredients. It sounded really good, but I've never had Sriracha chiili sauce. I decided I'd try it and bought a bottle today. ($3.59 for a 17 oz bottle.)

Since this is called "HOT Chili Sauce" I thought I should try just a little before I poured it on my veggies. Ah, a nice kick, but not too hot if I don't use too much.

So here is my omelet. Isn't it beautiful with all those colors and textures?

  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Onion
  • Carrots
  • Purple Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce - just a light back-and-forth squeeze over the veggies
  • Salt, Garlic, Pepper
Saute' for about 3 minutes, stir and saute' another 2 1/2 - 3 minutes.

Whip eggs (I use 2 for me, 3 for my husband), sprinkle with salt, garlic, pepper; add cold water (1 teaspoon per egg) and 2 generous teaspoons mashed pumpkin (Pumpkin is optional, but gives a great boost of vitamin A.)

Add eggs to veggies and cook until set.

I bought different eggs this week than my normal farmers market ones and they were a little smaller, so it doesn't have that omelet look, but it was still delicious!

The smell of the chili sauce reminded me of a Chinese restaurant, as well as the taste. I used the right amount to get a nice heat but not so much that my mouth was on fire. I suppose if you like that sort of thing, you could use more.

The bottle says it's good to use in soups, sauces, pizza, and more. I imagine it could be used like a Tabasco sauce.

Ingredients: chili, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite and xanthan gum (can't say I love all of those ingredients) and packs 1g of sugar in a one-teaspoon serving.

So I guess I'll call that my Chinese omelet and look forward to having that again! And trying Sriracha in other things too!

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever tried in an omelet?

Read my previous post: Homemade Chili (Ooooo! That might call for Sriracha, too!)
Read my next post: Grocery List