Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wind and Rain = Day Off!


(c) November 2008, Kathy Fannon

I love West Michigan; I've lived here my whole life. And while it may be romantic to think of living other places (like down south where it's warm), I would never leave here. (Although, I would like to be a snowbird someday!)

The spring is beautiful and the summer weather can't be beat. Even the changing colors of autumn are pretty while the leaves are still on the trees.

But days like this are why I dread West Michigan in the fall. (And don't even start me about winter!)

We’ve been under a wind advisory since 3:00pm yesterday and it runs through 8:00pm tonight. We’ve also been under a flood advisory since about 2:30pm yesterday which runs through, well, I don’t know for sure, but 2” to 3” inches of rain are expected by this afternoon.

When the winds are gusty like this (35mph and above) it’s hard for me to sleep. Our house shakes and creaks and I feel drafts coming from the windows. It’s only a 16-year-old house. (There’s something to be said for old houses.)

And it’s just COLD out there! Made worse by the wind and rain for sure!

So here’s my plan for the day: since I have nowhere to be and nothing to do I’m going to make it a self-care day.

I’m going to light candles for the warm glow (and also because it’s dark from all the clouds), make some hot honey-lemon water, find a blanket and snuggle on the couch and watch some old movies.

I haven’t decided if I’ll just watch Turner Classic Movies or if I’ll pull out some of my favorite DVDs. I have wanted to watch “Secret Window” again, or “Neptunes’ Daughter”, one of my all-time favorites with Esther Williams, Red Skelton and Ricardo Montalban. (Ooooo! After doing those links, I think I'm going to go for "Neptune's Daughter"!)

I recognize how blessed I am that I work for myself and don’t have to get a ‘real’ job so that I can spend a day taking care of myself. It’s a good place to be.

Uh…that’ll happen right after I run the vacuum!


I think it's a good day for Chicken Noodle Soup!

What is your favorite way to take care of yourself? Are you able to find something to do at least once a day?

Read my previous post: Others
Read my next post: Homemade Chili