Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bringing My Sexy Back

Photo: Ace Show Biz

I hope you don't disapprove of the title of this post, but that's what I want to do. (And don't miss the fun video at the end!)

I'm going to be real. Over the past 2+ years I've gained 20 pounds. I'm not proud of that, but I've decided that before I gain one more pound a change has to be made.

I've gotten back into some old habits, and even found some new ones, thus I am heavier than I've been in 5 years.

I don't like the way my clothes fit. I don't like the way I look in my clothes. I don't like the way I feel. I don't like being sluggish and forgetful.

It's cool how God allows us to have a memory, isn't it? Because I remember what it felt like to be 20 pounds lighter - it felt good. I had energy, I looked good in my clothes (no muffin-top), my skin looked better and I was confident.

Why am I telling you this? Because I want you to know I struggle with healthy choices the same way everybody else does. A health coach title doesn't disqualify me from struggles and bad decisions. It's an everyday choice; sometimes it's an every-minute choice! And lately, my choices haven't been so great.

I'm also looking for accountability, and by blogging through my journey I hope to keep myself on track, and maybe motivate you to make some changes too.

4 Things I'm Going To Do This Week:

1. Use a Health Coach.
I set up four weekly appointments with a health coach - me! Hey, I know I'm good! (Oooo, the confidence is coming back!) I know how I would help somebody in my situation, so I've scheduled appointments to take time with myself to evaluate where I want to go, how I'm going to get there and how my progress is going.

2. Eat more vegetables. 
I know as a health coach that is too vague, so how many more? I'm going to be real - an honest goal for me is 3 servings per day. I could push myself to say 4, but I know what I can do and where the line is where I start to beat myself up because of failure. The farmer's market opens May 14, so that amount will easily go up!

3. Drink more water. 
Again, vague. Ideally, 1/2 of your body weight in ounces, but from past experience I know that 48 ounces will be my limit, and also Doc approved.

4. Lift weights. 
For reasons I won't take time to elaborate on, my plan for this week is just to do some reps with my 5# weights before I get into bed. 


I weigh in once-per-month at my doctor's office; the first goal he's given me is to lose 6 pounds. I asked him where he'd ideally like to see my weight and he smiled and said, "Just start with the first 6 pounds." Ah, yes, small goals. I tend to want to see the big picture, then I panic and don't start. Small picture is much easier to handle!

So this is where I am today. 

If you're a Jimmy Fallon or Justin Timberlake fan, you'll enjoy this video. Or if you're a fan of barbershop quartets, you'll enjoy this video! If you're not a fan of any of those you still might enjoy it! Oh, just watch it for fun!

PS: Three things have been said to me by Doc over the past few years and I'm going to use it to get my sexy back! They are, "You're a competitor," "You're a fighter," and "Once you engage, you're fully engaged."

Here's my rally: Engage, Fight, Compete…Win!

Who's with me?

You may also be interested in: Before and After (I surprised myself when I found this after writing today's post.)

Read my previous post: Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Read my next post: Noodles & Company: Backyard Barbecue Chicken Salad