Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Potatoes With Spinach

(c) 12/2011, Kathy Fannon; Potatoes with Spinach

I've heard of this type of dish before but it's been a long time so I don't know if I made it "right". And since I like to just throw stuff together I was comfortable with doing that here.

Last weekend my husband found Echrich sausage on sale at the grocery store; buy one get one free. (He's yet to be as health-minded as I am and decided this sounded good. He at least got the turkey variety.)

I bought a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes and a box of frozen spinach. Taa-daa. Dinner.

I cooked about 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes (for four of us), chopped with the skins on, for about 15 minutes. I also dropped in 3 whole cloves of garlic while cooking.

I had allowed the box of spinach to thaw and squeezed the water out of it.

When the potatoes were done cooking I drained them, mashed them, and added salt, pepper, butter and spinach. (Not whipped with milk.)

The spinach gave it great color along with extra nutrients! And leftovers are fabulous!

This went really well with the sausage (which I was sorry I had...ick) and would also go great with chicken or beef.

Have you ever tried spinach in mashed potatoes? What is your favorite way to eat potatoes?

Read a previous post: A What-Atarian?
Read my next post: Best of 2011: #10 Pumpkin Pie Yogurt