Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rosemary Roasted Vegetables

It's getting hard for me to eat vegetables this time of year. There isn't a great selection (I avoid produce shipped in from across the country and especially from other countries) and my freezer stash from last summer's farmers market is getting quite low. (Only 71 more days until Holland opens!)

I remembered my doctor posting a recipe for roasted vegetables on his Facebook page and decided that would be something different to try instead of my usual omelet to get my vegetables.

I used two sweet potatoes, one white potato, broccoli (needed more), 3 small purple-top turnips, 3 small parsnips, carrots, a red onion, and 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms (cooked separately).
(c) 2/2012, Kathy Fannon
(Click images to enlarge)

I drizzled the mixture with olive oil and seasoned it with fresh minced garlic, chopped 3 stems of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. (Short video on how to chop rosemary. Easy!)


I roasted it at 375* for about 90 minutes on a large cookie sheet. (I added the broccoli for the last 10 minutes of baking so it didn't over-cook.)

When it was close to ready I sauteed the sliced mushrooms in a pan to add to the mixture when it came out of the oven.

It made enough for four of us (which includes two men) and could also be served with baked chicken if you want meat with it.

Eating alone, or with a larger group? Adjust the vegetable amounts accordingly. You can also add or subtract whatever you like. Beets, along with their greens, would make a fabulous addition to this. Add bell peppers, cauliflower, zucchini, etc along with the broccoli. 

Not a fan of rosemary? Add whatever spice you like. Basil, oregano and thyme would be a great combination! Or cumin and chili powder. There are also some great seasoning combinations at World Market, like Greek Mediterranean, Chicago Chop & Steak, Herbes de Provence, or Thai Spice.

This is a great way to get creative in the kitchen. And cheap too. This meal cost $13 to feed four people. 

Who says eating healthy is expensive?!