Monday, March 12, 2012

Granola Chicken

Granola isn't just for breakfast anymore!
All photos (c) 3/8/12, Kathy Fannon (Click to enlarge)

About 5 or 6 years ago I received a monthly cooking magazine from a well-known food company. Of course, many of the ingredients called for their products, but I found some really good recipes that became family favorites. When I changed our way of eating to a whole-foods based diet, many of those recipes were tossed along with the processed ingredients that made them.

One of my son's favorites was chicken coated with Honey Bunches of Oats cereal. He mentioned this the other day when I asked him what he would like for supper. Since I refuse to buy boxed cereals we discussed a way to modify it. Actually, there wasn't much discussion. He suggested the genius idea to use my favorite granola instead. Hmmmm, that could work.

It did!

I put one cup of Good Life Granola in my little food processor and pulsed it a few times to minimize the chunks along with the pecans and almonds in the Original Blend.

I rinsed the chicken (one pound) and patted it dry with paper towel. I dipped the chicken first in the granola, then the egg (beaten) and then back in the granola. No extra seasonings, not even salt.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil for easy clean up, and spray lightly with cooking oil. (I use Pam Organic Olive Oil.)

I baked it at 425 for 25 minutes.


My son was very happy with how this turned out and we will be having this again, for sure!

I served it with a salad and homemade dressing (equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar) and some quinoa.

Read my previous post: Review: Charley's Famous Fresh Tortilla Chips and Salsa