Friday, January 2, 2015

Take Time: Wait and Be Still


Photo: Kathy Fannon, December 26, 2014
(Take time to notice!)

In this series, Take Time, we'll explore different areas in which to slow down, take time to notice new things and maybe learn something new. The Take Time series will run the first Friday of every month in 2015.

Wait and Be Still

It's the first Friday of the new year and we're off and rushing to new things, new resolutions to last year's shortcomings and jumping into life again after a busy holiday season.

But before we get too crazy, let's slow down and wait a minute.

Psalm 46:10
He says, "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Isaiah 30:15
…In quietness and trust is your strength…

Psalm 27:14
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

Psalm 37:7, 9, 34
Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him...those who wait for the Lord, they will inherit the land...Wait for the Lord and keep His way...

Psalm 119:114
You are my hiding place and my shield; I wait for Your word.

I'm not very good at waiting, and I'm not good at waiting on God. But it's clear that's what He wants from us.

With the speed of the technology we live with we forget to slow down, it has to be a conscious decision. Slowing down no longer comes natural to us.

But hear the desire of God today, He wants us to slow down and take time to listen to Him, to hear His voice. He has so much to say to us but we're too busy running and trying to accomplish great things - myself included - to hear what He is whispering in our ears.

This past year I purposed to be aware of my surroundings, to notice the birds singing, the clouds in the sky, the sunset when it's at its deepest colors, the laughter of friends, family and strangers around me. I've watched old couples hold hands, young families have fun at the dinner table and watched a barista make designs on the tops of lattes.

Now, I need to purpose to be aware of God and His voice. I haven't taken the time to listen to Him or to be the friend to Him that He wants me to be. I've let him down. So in my journey to slow down and take time, I'm going to include time to be with Jesus.

Where do you need to slow down and take time today? Rest in the Lord and find strength.

Read my previous post: Food Journal