Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Strawberry Yogurt

To go with my yogurt series (see Blueberry Yogurt, Applesauce Yogurt, Peach Yogurt and Pumpkin Pie Yogurt), I'm adding strawberry yogurt.

I'm so glad I froze these strawberries last summer from my favorite fruit farmer, Duane. I poured some into a bowl and defrosted them in the microwave for about 2 minutes.

Add plain Greek yogurt, honey (raw and local is best), and cinnamon:

It would be great like that, but it was even better with some Good Life Granola mixed in! I'm so addicted!
It doesn't look so special but it tasted fabulous!

This makes a great breakfast or mid-afternoon snack. Of course, fresh fruit in season is always preferred, but farmers market fruit from the freezer is also fabulous! There's nothing like a little bit of summer in the middle of winter!

If you don't have farmers market frozen fruit in your freezer, pick up some from the freezer section of your grocery store. (Seriously, try to avoid fresh when it's not in season locally.) Get the whole berries (so they don't come with added sugar) and make your own "flavored" yogurt. It will be much healthier than the "pudding" yogurt with the flavorings, colorings and chemicals added to it. Much of what passes as yogurt now has very little active cultures, which is what makes yogurt yogurt and beneficial to your digestive health. Homemade whenever possible is always best.

Read my previous post: Quinoa with Vegetables
Read my next post: Review: NHBC Artichoke Chicken & Rosemary Pizza