Monday, November 12, 2012

Blueberry Almond Coconut Oatmeal

(c) 11/12/12, Kathy Fannon

I love my fruit (frozen from the farmer's market) with yogurt and Good Life Granola for breakfast every morning. I crave it all day and I'm always sad when breakfast is over.

Yesterday I used the end of my yogurt. I forgot to buy more after church. This is bad.

This time of year when the weather turns cooler my husband likes to have oatmeal for breakfast. I do too. From November to about mid-March, I make a batch every week of my Pumpkin Coconut Multi-Grain Crockpot Oatmeal which is enough for the two of us.

But yesterday we didn't give thought to things until late in the evening and I didn't have time (or ingredients) for 5 hours of crockpot cooking. So my husband made plain steel-cut oats on the stovetop.

This morning, since I had no yogurt, I had some of his plain oatmeal. It was pretty good, but not as good as the crockpot oatmeal with pumpkin, applesauce, molasses and other goodies in it.

Here is how I dressed up my plain oatmeal this morning, and it was really good. (But I've already been to the store to get more yogurt! I blame my friend Mike Freestone! #addict)

Blueberry Almond Coconut Oatmeal:

Plain, gluten-free, steel-cut oats (already cooked) (Look for Bob's Red Mill.)
Splash of almond milk (for a smooth consistency) (Coconut milk would be great, too!)
Generous sprinkle of cinnamon

Heat in the microwave for about one minute.

Add blueberries (or whatever fruit you like) and heat in the microwave for another 45 - 60 seconds if the fruit is frozen.

Add coconut and sliced almonds!

It was plenty sweet for me with the blueberries, but I wouldn't be opposed to adding a small squeeze of raw honey or pure maple syrup to sweeten it a little more.

How would you dress up plain oatmeal? I'd love to hear your thoughts for next time I need a quick oatmeal breakfast!

Read my previous post: Apple Cucumber Mango Salad
Read my next post: Review: Kitchen 67: A Sizzling Grille